Research papers are common assignments in different classes for high-school, college, and university students. However, many young people consider them challenging because they are lengthy and require in-depth research and detailed analysis of multiple scholarly sources. Besides, if you want to succeed, perfect knowledge of the English academic style is also a must.
But the most critical and the most frustrating part of the entire writing process for the majority of students during their first year of college is choosing a research topic. The problem is that in high school, topics for research projects are typically defined by a teacher and students enter higher school completely unprepared to select topics for their research on their own. Need an interesting topic for your research paper?
If you struggle with finding a final question for your research, keep reading this article where you’ll find the lists of good research paper topics in different fields of studies. Besides, we’ll give you some tips on how to approach any tricky topic for a research paper.
How to Choose the Best Research Paper Topics for Your Project?
Selecting an interesting topic is critical for the success of your research project because it will send you in the right direction and keep you interested and motivated during the whole writing process. Let’s discuss what makes a good topic for research.
1) It must be a topic you are interested in
You should think about problems in your specific field of knowledge you would like to find solutions. For example, you might be concerned about social and health issues or safety of food products. Or maybe you are curious about animal behavior or education of little children. You should clarify your ideas and transform them into a narrow research question that will guide your writing.
If your ideas are too vague, you can try to do the following to help you formulate them into specific research questions:
- search the internet;
- talk to experts in your field, classmates or your project supervisor;
- look up library resources (encyclopedias, reference books, etc.);
- read about recent policy debates, scientific discoveries, medical and science research, current events, business and technology trends, sports and music news, literary reviews;
- read articles in scholarly journals.
2) Narrow your topic to make it manageable
Many students make the common mistake – they choose topics that are broad and may be more appropriate for book projects. If you choose a topic that is too broad, you will end up writing just a general overview without an in-depth understanding.
For example, if you choose “criminal justice” as your research subject, you can lack the focus on some specific issues. So you’ll need to scale down to ensure that you’ll be able to conduct a research within a limited time frame. For instance, you may write about causes of youth crimes. But be careful and don’t make your topic too narrow, otherwise, you’ll have difficulties in finding enough information for writing your paper.
A good idea is to choose a topic related to your past experience because your readers will be impressed how well-informed you are. For example, if you have a volunteer work in healthcare or help homeless people, you first-hand observations and experience can help in writing an impressive paper in sociology because you’ll be able to ask more meaningful questions relating to poverty and homelessness.
You can also take advantage of working on topics related to your current job because you’ll have a good opportunity to collect the primary data. For example, if you work in a hospital, it will be easier for you to collect data for your research paper in nursing.
You should choose a topic that may have some academic, social or practical value for scholars, students or the society. This consideration is especially important when you write a research paper in world history, American history or in economics.
The Best Research Paper Ideas to Consider for Your Own Paper
Now you have a good understanding what aspects to consider when selecting a topic for your research paper so it’s time to find a good one. To help you get started, we have made a list of interesting topics for research papers in different fields of knowledge. Note that topics in all categories are based on the latest trends in science and technology.
Biology Topic Ideas
- What Are Effects of Poor Diet on Lifespan?
- What Are Effects of Probiotics in Preventing Infection?
- Can Nanotechnology Be Used for Treating Cancer Patients?
- Is Stem Cell Treatment Effective?
- What Is the Future of GMO Food Crops?
- What Are Eco-friendly Fuel Alternatives?
- What Are the Causes of Down Syndrome?
- Can Engineering More Effective Antibiotics Overcome Bacterial Resistance?
- Using Biofilms to Control Air Pollution.
- What Is Targeted Cancer Therapy?
- What Are Psychological Effects of Technology Addiction?
- How Do Colors Affect Our Productivity?
- What Causes Eating Disorders?
- How Do Certain People Become Leaders?
- Analyze the Most Prominent Dream Theories.
- Analyze the Stanford Prison Experiment.
- What Are the Stages of Brain Development During the Prenatal Period?
- Sigmund Freud's Views on Religion.
- How Important Is Love for the Child’s Development?
- How Does Lack of Sleep Affect Our Mental Health?
- What Were the Possible Causes of Salem Witch Trials?
- What Factors Caused the Stock Market Crash in 1929?
- How Did New Deal Affect the Development of Arts?
- Was Bombing of Hiroshima Necessary?
- What Was the Impact of Baby Boom on the European and American Societies?
- Discuss the Role of Women’s Suffrage Movement in the US History.
- What Were the Social Consequences of Vietnam War?
- What Is the Role of Women in the Military?
- What Were the Effects of Harlem Renaissance?
- The Life Story of Amelia Earhart.
Physics and Astronomy Topics
- What Is Pluto if It’s not a Planet?
- Can We Determine How Old the Universe Is?
- What Are Dark Holes?
- Could People Survive on Mars?
- Is Space Exploration Really Necessary?
- Can We Prevent a Large Comet from Striking the Earth?
- Does Life Exist on Other Planets?
- How Did Meteorites Change the Earth?
- Explain Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.
- Why Is Dark Matter Important?
Computer Science and Robotic Paper Topics
- What Are Advantages and Disadvantages of Data Mining?
- What Is the Future of Cloud Computing?
- Can Artificial Intelligence Become Smarter than Humans?
- Are Cryptocurrencies the Future of Finance?
- What Is the Impact of Big Data on Our Society?
- Are Self-Driving Vehicles the Future of Transportation?
- Can Artificial Intelligence Destroy Human Life?
- How Are Robots Improving Healthcare?
- How Will Computers Change in 15 Years?
- What Are Important Issues of Network Security?
Tips on Writing a Research Paper
The most important thing is to make the title concise without sacrificing any necessary element. Besides, your title should capture your readers’ attention and be different from other titles on the similar topics.
1) When creating a title for your paper, you should follow these easy tips:
- Keep your title about 10-12 words long and use active verbs.
- Include keywords that will define the nature of your study and will help readers find your paper in databases.
- Avoid using jargon and abbreviations that may not be familiar to your readers.
2) Typically, research papers have the following structure:
- Abstract. It is a brief summary of the research paper content. It is about 300 words long. It typically includes information about the general purpose of your investigation and the research problem, the basic research design, the key findings of your paper, a short summary of your interpretation of the results. The abstract is the first section of your paper but you should write it last because it summarizes the content of your research project.
- Introduction. This part is supposed to direct a reader from a general subject area to a particular research topic. Mention the scope and significance of the research study. Focus on the current understanding and background information about the topic, stating the purpose of the work.
- Literature Review. It deals with books, scholarly articles, and any other sources that contribute to a particular area of research. Its aim is to provide a description, summary, and critical evaluation of the scientific works concerning the research problem under consideration.
- Methodology. Lots of students face difficulties when writing a methodology section of their research paper. It has to provide answers to 2 essential questions: How did the author collect the data? And what methods were used to analyze the data? Choosing appropriate methods for investigation is crucial because unreliable methods will lead to unreliable results.
- Results. This part states all the findings made during the research work. Without writing the results there is no sense to work on the whole research paper. It is a logical outcome of all your efforts.
- Discussion. All your findings are supposed to be significant for those already reported. To make a discussion section impressive, try to connect an introduction, a literature review and a result part. By doing so, you are able to explain how readers can come to the understanding of a research topic.
- Conclusion. Don’t re-state your research problem. Show how your research paper can carry weight with a subject-matter area. Besides, recommend new possible areas for future research.
Some academic research papers may include additional parts such as Acknowledgments and Table of Contents.
Make sure that your paper is formatted properly according to the citation style specified by your professor. There are different citation styles but the most common are MLA, APA, and Chicago. Your research paper has to include a list of sources you used in writing your project. You must strictly follow the specific rules that are included in style manuals that also describe the appropriate way of citing sources in the text of your paper. Make sure you acknowledge using ideas of other people when quoting, paraphrasing or summarizing to avoid plagiarism.
When you have finished writing, don’t forget to edit and proofread your paper to improve its style and fix possible grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. If you still hesitate to start working on a research paper, apply our professional custom writing service to get the high-quality paper samples that correspond exactly to your particular paper requirements.