Oh, that's feeling when the academic year has just begun. You feel refreshed and are ready for the further accomplishments. It seems that nothing will interfere in your desire to be productive and become the best student among the course mates. Sadly, we have all been there and know how short-lived this inspiration is.
Usually, the students surrender after one or two months of hard work. Even though laziness is not the last reason for it, an enormous heap of the assignments, stressful tests and personal challenges for young people throw them out of the game. Weather also affects the productivity: in late autumn and winter, our body needs more time for a rest. All in all, there are many factors which can prevent you from the success.
That is why we created the list of several tips of how to stay in tune regardless of the negative impacts.
Walks and Physical Activity
Slush, dampness and never-ending rain are obviously not encouraging for prolonged walks. However, autumn has a very healthy side: crisp leaves, warm colors and the last rays of the sun calm down and bring a quiet joy to 8 out of 10 people’s lives according to the recent studies.
Scientists admit the positive impact of natural color schemes on the state of mind. Also, the autumn air in large towns is cleaner than in summer, when the high temperatures induce the evaporation of toxic gases and substances.
The benefit of walking is priceless. Just 12 minutes of this physical activity increase self-confidence, attentiveness and vigor, the essentials of academic success. During the stroll, we observe the life around us which can be very inspiring for our mind.
If you want to boost your productivity even more, include exercises in your daily routine.
Discover the 5 top mental advantages of sports for your personality:
- Instant burst of happiness due to triggering the secretion of particular hormones.
- You train your concentration every time you build the muscles. 30 minutes 3-5 times per week are enough for thinking improvement.
- Reduction of stress and depression because of endorphins’ production.
- Better sleeping habits result in better mood and increased brain’s efficiency for learning and solving creative tasks.
- Enhancement of self-esteem: you raise skills and make your body more attractive. These factors positively affect your confidence.
Make Your Environment Brighter
A human is a daytime creature. Our bodies are working the best from the dawn until the sunset. At nightfall, the hormone called melatonin secretes and contributes into good sleeping. Besides, in winter a day shrinks, and we experience the lack of sunshine. To provide yourself with a larger dose of precious light, study in the spacious room near large windows. Do not cover them with curtains; let the sun getting inside.
If you haven’t got an opportunity to sit in such a room, use an artificial source called a lightbox. 30 minutes of sitting next to it will also satisfy your demand in the sunlight.
Eat Healthy Food and Establish the Sleep Schedule
The proper nutrition is the key factor of the full life. Nobody will be productive and happy while suffering from some health issues. Eat 3-5 times a day – some specialists say that the more, the better, especially for people with the slow metabolism. Cook dishes replete with good quality proteins, healthy fats, and natural carbohydrates. Vegetables, fruits, meat fish, beans, and seafood are your friends while fast food and other fatty dishes are foes.
During the cold times consider eating soups and stews. Warm dishes help the body to work better in winter and replenish it with necessary nutrients.
Normally, people need 6-8 hours of continuous sleep for general wellness. Develop the sleeping habits: go to bed at the same time every night. It would be better if you choose the time between 21 and 24 P.M. Scientists proved that during this period the quality of rest is the best.
To make your sleep better follow these advices:
- avoid meal for 3-4 hours before falling asleep;
- do workout during the day but not at night;
- put aside your electronic devices while getting ready for a rest;
- open the window – the cold air makes sleep deeper;
- maintain your sleeping place well: a bed and a pillow should be comfortable enough.
Get used to waking up without an alarm clock. It will take some time to establish the stable sleeping habit, though.
Learn Some Meditation Techniques
Meditation has long ceased to be only a religious practice. Nowadays it is the efficient method of relaxation and inspiration boosting.
Let’s debunk some obsolete myths about meditation:
- Meditation is not simply “doing nothing”, it is a concentration training which takes efforts. You focus on a particular object such as breathing, mental image or something else.
- Meditation is not escapism. Many successful people practice it to accomplish their goals here in real life.
- You shouldn't allocate a lot of time on this exercise. 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening are enough for novice practitioners. Eventually, your mind will become more and more organized, so you may allow yourself to increase your meditation time.
- This experience has nothing in common with altered states of consciousness caused by drug intoxication. If you don’t consider it as a religious practice, you will not observe visions, levitation, glimpse enlightenment and so on.
The basic technique is sitting in a fixed position (it is advisable to take the lotus position or cross the legs) with your back up straight and concentrating on your breath. Do not try to get rid of all the thoughts, simply watch them and return your focus to the initial object (breath in this case). After the meditation session, you will feel ease in your mind and burst of energy.
Now, make it happen for the first time: keep yourself disciplined and adhere to the tips mentioned above every day. Try following such a regime during a few months, and you will see the difference in your productivity.